I am a CFI, but want an AGI

The question:
I already am a CFI, and I want to add an AGI certificate to my aviation credentials. What do I need to do?
Here is the answer:
If you already hold an FAA Flight Instructor certificate (CFI – ASE or AME), and you want to get an AGI now, all you need to do is follow these 3 steps:
Pass an aeronautical knowledge test – Advanced Ground Instructor or AGI
Take the result report to the local FAA FSDO, along with your CFI certificate (and completed FAA form 8710, or IACRA) – you may need to call ahead of time and set up an appointment.
Get your AGI temporary certificate and come back here and leave a comment about your overall experience.
Note: A DPE can issue you an AGI as well, but there will be a fee involved. FSDO is free.
So, this is the procedure for someone to add an AGI certificate to their aviation credentials when he/she already holds a CFI or Flight Instructor certificate. And for those who want to Why one should have a separate AGI certificate, you can read my post explaining the reasons.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on print
Share on email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *