If you are a holder a pilot certificate issued by a member ICAO country, and you wish be obtain an FAA issued Flight Instructor certificate (CFI), then you need to follow these steps –

  • Submit an application with the FAA for the issuance/verification of your pilot’s license with your country’s issuing agency. Here is the link for the FAA application.
  • Some countries also require that you apply with them to release your pilot licensing information with the FAA. So, make sure that you follow this step as well if required.
  • Once this is done, you will receive a verification letter from the FAA.
  • Schedule an appointment with any FAA FSDO office (if the verification letter states so), and you will be issued an FAA private pilot certificate based on your foreign pilot license.
  • Obtain an FAA issued Instrument Rating (IR) – we can help you with this.
  • Obtain an FAA issued Commercial Pilot’s certificate (enroll in our commercial plus CFI combination course), and then the FAA Flight Instructor Certificate (CFI).
  • Read FAR 61.75. You will also need to take the Instrument Rating Airplane (IRA), Commercial Pilot Airplane (CAX), Fundamentals of Instructing (FOI), Flight Instructor Airplane written exams (FIA).
  • Canadian pilot’s – you just need to take the written exams; no need for a practical test for your IR and Commercial Pilot conversions.